Friday, August 14, 2009

MYCAR gets me Dirty Looks at Work

At grad school, I decided to break the trend of buying cars that had seen more owners than Lindsay Lohan's one night stands and buy something that was under 3 years old, had only a few miles on it and was owned by just one person before me. The year was 2004 and all data suggested a certain import as the no. 1 car in America. So pretty soon, I was the proud owner of a 2001 Import whose name when jumbled gives MYCAR. As luck would have it, I soon landed in a state which was the home to the BIG-3 US auto makers and started work at one of the largest auto suppliers in the world. No one gave me a hard time on my choice of transportation because my company also did business with the foreign auto maker whose symbol adrorned my car.

As luck would further have it, I was transferred within the same company and asked to relocate to an office in one the largest proving grounds in the world which is privately owned by the largest domestic auto maker. Now the only reason this were possible is because my current company used to be a part of that auto maker in a previous life. This proving ground is very closely monitored and all traffic in and out has to pass security. One can be randomly selected for scrutiny at any time while leaving the grounds and thanks to MYCAR, my probability of getting pulled up was pretty high. Still, no biggie, well no biggie until now....

I now have started noticing weird looks from people all around who work here at the grounds. At the cafeteria building, I try and park as far away as possible and when I return to my car, I can see fingers pointing and people talking about it in angry tones. I am beginning to wonder when things will get out of control and these otherwise normal people will rise to a MOB and attack me. It is all very exciting ...

These are tough times we are living in for many, but I don't see what they should not be exciting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home