Wednesday, August 05, 2009

I Like Starbucks Coffee - There I said it!

I have many addictions and one of the lesser unhealthy ones is Caffeine. Yes, I said less unhealthy because while everyone knows it is bad for one's teeth and breath, could result in acid reflux, promotes insomnia, subdues hunger etc. I have also seen studies that it delays the onset of prostrate cancer. Anyway, I digress...

I am no coffee connoisseur, I just like drinking coffee without necessarily bothering to understand the details, technique, or principles of art that go into bean selection, grinding etc. and neither am I competent to act as a critical judge who can discriminate and appreciate the subtleties in flavor, smell or taste. Having said that, I am no nincompoop and can very well tell the difference between a 99 cent gas station blend and the stuff that sells at Starbucks. In my humble opinion, pay the extra 50 cents and go to Starbucks.

My addiction was primarily fueled by circumstances that forced my one-way commute to work to increase from a comfortable 15 minutes to a pretty disgusting 1.5 hours. One Monday, 10 mins enroute and still sleepy, I decided to stop at Starbucks (6:45 AM) and see what the fuss was all about. After 5 mins of waiting in line (yes, people are actually up that early and don't mind waiting in line!), I reached up to the counter and ordered a small (read tall, go figure!) coffee (bold blend), paid up $1.55 after taxes and got on the road. Honestly, I did not particularly take to the taste but for the next 45 minutes, I had good company in the form of that drink. I decided to do it again the next day and this time liked the taste a little more. By the end of the week, I was no longer complaining about the long drive and I actually thought the coffee tasted pretty great. The crappy office coffee would no longer do for me, it had to be Starbucks. So my manager and I pooled resources and would brew Starbucks at work much to the envy of everyone else. "Look at these showoffs", "Who do they think they are, drinking Starbucks from their fancy cups", "Why can't they drink crappy coffee like the rest of us", "Do they think they are superior to us" are some of the comments I have to still contend with at work. Hey people, hello, we never told you not to help yourselves. You have the choice. Anyway, I guess people are naturally wired to be envious.

I also noticed that Starbucks bashing is envogue. I have read many a blog and newspaper article about how Starbucks has killed mom and pop coffee shops by setting up shop at every possible corner on every possible street. I also heard Jay Leno make a joke about a Starbucks location so big that there was another Starbucks at a corner inside. Personally, I feel Starbucks is no Wal Mart. They do not exploit low wages (and hence poor human rights, poor environmental regulations etc.) in one part of the world to bring you a substandard product at a cheaper price. They are still expensive enough that people interested in saving 20 cents could use a mom and pop shop. They are simply conveniently located for those in a hurry and provide a decent ambience for those who want to sit down and relax with friends or by themselves. If mom and pop stores can't compete with that, then too bad! Again, It is simply a matter of personal choice, but I notice that people who still frequent mom and pop shops tend to have an air of superiority that personally I think is repulsive.

I know that we live in a time where you cannot speak what's on your mind, unless you are politically correct (or Rush Limbaugh). Also, not supporting the underdog makes you an instant pariah as I noticed when I supported the Lakers in 2004, the Patriots in 2008 and McCain in the last election. Well who are we if we are not allowed to be ourself! So consider this my small, yet significant opposition to the ever growing trend of "It's better to be dishonest than politically incorrect", I LIKE STARBUCKS COFFEE- there I said it.

It has been years since that day and I still think the Starbucks (Caribou Coffee is a close second, but Big-gby sucks Big-Time) brew is my favorite brand. Yes my teeth are yellower, my breath ocassionally smells coffee (note to self - buy extra strong gum today) but here's hoping that my prostrate goes strong for a long long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home