Thursday, August 13, 2009

U. A.in't W.elcome

I work for a company that until a few years ago was one of the largest automotive suppliers in the world. It had spun off from a company that used to be one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world. As a parting gift, they inherited a sizable portion of a workers union that is one of the largest in America. Since I was not at the table when union executives discussed compensation and benefits with the auto executives and have not read the details of that signed document, I will not comment or pass judgement on who is right or wrong. I am not intelligent enough to judge if the auto execs have caused the union to suffer or if the unions are the reason the auto company is suffering. I will however point out that the above mentioned union absolutely hates foreign auto companies. They feel that imports are the biggest threat to their livelihood and the primary reason for the misfortune their members find themselves in. For years now they have promoted and supported the "Buy Local" mantra. They have literally reached a tone that sounds threatening as seen in the picture. Now, far be it from me to pass judgement (infact I support people who believe strongly in a cause), but I could not help but point out the hypocrisy.

The above picture was taken by me, in front of one of my company manufacturing plants. I would now like to mention that about 40% of my company's revenue is from foreign auto manufacturers. So it is safe to say that the sign was only put up in anger after things started to go awry in this country. All I can say is "Guys, I feel your pain, but globalization is here to stay, whether you like it or not". If you actually think about it, it was you, your friends, your relatives, etc. who indirectly voted for it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home